Producer: Bruno Menali Oliveira Location: Illicinea, Minas Gerais Altitude: 1,200 masl Cultivar: Yellow Catuai Process: Natural Harvest: May - July Flavour profile: Dried strawberries & peanut butter cups
Fazenda Conquista was established in 1910 and has always been one of the main producers in the Illicinea region. Initially founded by Mr. Juca de Oliveira it is who was always challenging the way he grew coffee to improve and change. Now the farm is run by his great grandson Bruno Menali Oliveira who gave up his work as a lawyer to farm coffee. Bruno is like his grandfather looking at ways to improve the quality of his post-harvest production as well as the education and working environment of his staff. They have 8 staff on the farm to help with the harvest and maintain the medium sized estate during the year. They are able to harvest 30% of the farm mechanically and the remaining 70% manually due to the geography. Once the coffee is harvested from the trees it is then laid out on patio’s in the natural sun for 7 days until it reaches 15% moisture. From here it is then transferred to a mechanical drier for 3 days until the desired 11 % moisture is reached.